Metal and Ceramic Braces
We'll give you more reasons to smile.
Metal Braces – The Most Common Orthodontic Treatment
The most conventional braces are metal braces and they are the most common orthodontic treatment method employed. Gone are the days when metal braces were voluminous with may wires and brackets running hither and thither. The advancement in dental technology has made them lot more appealing. It may be noted that they are still the preferred orthodontic treatment methodology for children.
Metal Braces are essentially made of three parts, namely, brackets, archwire, and ligature bands (simply called rubber bands). Brackets are fixed on the teeth using a dental bonding material. The archwire is a thin wire that runs and connects each bracket. This archwire is periodically tightened which puts the necessary pressure. The rubber bands hold the archwire to the brackets.
How do Metal Braces work?
All braces work on the same principle of exerting the force on the teeth. This constant force helps the teeth move in the desired direction. The advanced metal braces available these days use heat-activated archwires. These archwires use our body temperature and they help move the teeth quickly to the desired position.
Wearing Metal Braces
Metal braces are semi-permanent structures which cannot be removed, unlike Invisalign. They are lodged in the teeth and they cannot be removed by the patient. While wearing metal braces, you might feel uncomfortable in the beginning. But as days go by, you should be getting used to it.
Dental Visits after Wearing Metal Braces
You may have to visit our dental office as per the schedule was given. While you visit us we would ensure to tighten the archwires. We would check for the pressure it is applying and ensure it is adequate.
Who can get Metal Braces?
As said, they are best for children are teens because it cannot be removed by them. It stays on and can be removed only after the treatment period is over by the trained Orthodontist at Smile One.
Advantages of Metal Braces
- They are very cost-effective and are the most economical orthodontic treatment.
- They are best and much more effective for people with overcrowded teeth.
Maintenance of Metal Braces
- Since they are held on to the teeth, the chances of food getting entangled within them, the archwires are higher. Hence proper oral care needs to be ensured.
- Brushing, flossing and rinsing your mouth with recommended mouthwash have to be done diligently.
- The dental appointments should be kept up diligently. The dentist would also help in cleaning the teeth properly during the appointment apart from tightening the braces.
Ceramic Braces – The Preferred Orthodontic Treatment
Ceramic braces have come up as a good alternative for metal braces. The heavy feeling you get on metal braces is absent in ceramic braces. Ceramic braces come in different colors and can really jazz up your appearance. They are now coming in transparent colors too.
Like metal braces, the ceramic braces are also made of three parts, namely, brackets, archwire, and ligature bands (simply called rubber bands).
How do Ceramic Braces work?
Like all braces, ceramic braces also work on the same principle of exerting the force on the teeth. This force guides the teeth move into the desired position.
Wearing Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces are also semi-permanent structures which cannot be removed, unlike Invisalign. The initial uncomfortable feeling gives away as days goes by.
Dental Visits after Wearing Ceramic Braces
It is similar to metal braces. You may have to visit our dental office as per the schedule was given for tightening the braces and cleaning the oral area.
Who can get Ceramic Braces?
Older teens and adults prefer ceramic braces for the aesthetics it offers. The transparent nature of the braces attracts the teens.
Advantages of Ceramic Braces
- They are very cost-effective compared to Invisalign.
Maintenance of Ceramic Braces
- They are slightly cumbersome when it comes to oral hygiene. Since they are transparent they have to be cleaned and maintained properly.
- You may have to avoid heavily staining food to avoid the ligatures getting impacted and stained.
- Brushing, flossing and rinsing your mouth with recommended mouthwash have to be done diligently along with dental appointments.